Monday, March 4, 2013

Weekend Confessions

I have good news and I have bad news.  The good news is today is day 15 and I'm at the half way point.  The bad news is I cheated this weekend....twice.  I was lazy and didn't blog at all this weekend and last night I felt so guilty I couldn't blog.  So, on this beautiful Monday morning, I start anew. 

So, where to I begin?  Well, let's start with the victories.  On Friday night we met my family and my favorite local restaurant, 2Dog Cafe.  I had my usual skirt steak, accompanied by asparagus and acorn squash.  I watched the rest of my family enjoy a bottle of wine and a slice of the decadent chocolate cream pie (my favorite non-caveman dessert at 2Dog).  I resisted and stayed strong.  Our waitress, Jenny, who often waits on us asked if I was pregnant since I declined the wine.  Being pregnant is a much better story than being caveman.  So, much do my Dad's dismay, (as his response was "I WISH!"), I candidly explained that I was not pregnant, but taking part in a more limited diet.  Still craving something sweet when we got home, I made myself half of a smoothie.

Saturday morning started with Cross Fit.  I had a good workout, but my legs were toast afterwards.  Even so, I decided to try and run 10 miles.  I hadn't had a really long run in several weeks.  Hindsight, this was probably not a good idea.  I had only run once this week and again, hadn't run over 6 miles in several weeks.  To add to that, I for some reason, did not bring any gels or water for my 10 mile jaunt.  I guess psychologically the cold made me think I didn't need it.  So with quads still burning, I set out for 10 miles.  At 6.5, I was done.  I bonked.  No fuel.  No water.  Only a smoothie and orange in my system and I was freezing.  Done.  Unfortunately, my route was an out and back so I walked in the frigid temps almost 3 miles back to my car.  Not fun.  I am wind chapped. 

I had a nice afternoon that included a haircut and a mani/pedi.  We finished up the evening with Tracy and the family and Marcus's friend Stephen who all came to our house for burgers.  The dinner was paleo; however, the 2 blueberry beers I had were not.  I felt justified in my drinking because Tracy was drinking wine.  So, the alcohol was my first cheat of the weekend.  For a cheat, I thought it was well-contained in that it didn't lead to falling completely off the wagon.  So, I went to bed a little guilty, but not terribly so.

Sunday morning, I had a Lara bar and we headed to church.  Lucky for me, it was Skittles Sunday :)  Every year, Pastor Kevin does his financial sermon and uses Skittles in his illustration.  So, as to not be rude, he passes out Skittles for everyone.  Super.  I let the basket of Skittles pass before me as Marcus indulges in his share.  He's so considerate as usual.

After church we went to Waffle House for eggs and bacon.  Marcus had a waffle, but I was just fine with my protein.  After that we got ready to head to the Challenged Child 5K in Gainesville. It's a Peachtree Road Race Qualifier and Kristina asked me to go.  Marcus intended on getting a Kenyan qualifying time and I was going to see if I could keep up with my friend Kristy to get a good time.  It was beyond cold with the wind.  My legs were still super heavy from Cross Fit and my 10 mile attempt the day before.  Yuck.  But, I managed to stay with Kristy until the last 1000 meters in which I had nothing left.  Kristy averaged an 8:25/mile and I had an 8:29/mile.  Our goal at the start was to have an 8:45/mile so in our books we succeeded.  I finished in 26 something which made it a 5K PR for me.  Last night Kristy texted me and said we both finished 3rd in our age group!!  Whoop whoop! I must tell you that Marcus had an amazing time as well.  He finished in 21 something minutes.  He truly astonishes me.  He never runs and then he just comes out and kills it.  Clearly annoying.  Kristina did awesome as well.  This race we counted as her February 5K as her goal was to do 1 a month beginning in October.  So that makes her 5th 5K!! I'm so proud of her discipline and her determination to keep going.  It's so exciting to watch her progress.

After the race, with legs super tired, Marcus and I headed for Chicopee to finish up the day with some mountain biking.  That was probably the poorest decision all weekend.  I should've known that my legs were too spent to mountain bike.  It was horrible.  First, it was colder than cold.  The wind was brutal.  The face chapping continued.  The first sign of a bad ride was when I got passed by a trail runner, albeit a fast trail runner, but a runner nonetheless.  That was a great confidence boost as I'm trying my hardest to catch up to the rest of the group.  Then, as Marcus is riding behind me (which I hate, and he knows it) I tell him that I hate the sharp turn coming up.  Just after I get it out of my mouth I crash on the stupid turn and get all dirty.  I should've turned back then.  Nope, I kept going.  I felt terrible.  It was like I had never ridden a bike in my life.  My legs were killing me and felt extremely out of shape.  It's amazing.  Then it all became mental.  I started having mini-anxiety attacks every time I saw a hill or a root or a rock or a sharp turn I didn't think I could make.  It was awful.  I want to like this sport so much but it hates me.  I have no idea what I'm so worried about.  I'm only going 5-10 mph at the most and I'm 3 feet above the ground.  There's not much harm to be done, but I totally freak myself out.  It is them most stressful thing I do.  I'm in a ball of knots when I get out of the woods.  Luckily, Marcus didn't feel so hot either so about half way he asked if I wanted to take the shortcut and head back.  Thank God!! 

I got into a hot shower as soon as we got home to thaw out.  Since we started riding, Marcus had been talking about pizza and Chinese.  I thought I could resist but all I wanted right now was pizza.  So, I gave in.  We went to Napolis and I had a cheese calzone and it was fabulous!  I was beyond full with cheese and guilt when I left.  I went straight to bed.  I will tell you that I did not sleep well after that meal.  It was so heavy, I just couldn't.  So, there you go.  That's the total list of my indiscretions for the weekend.  I guess it could've been worse, but it was bad enough.  While I'm at it, I should go ahead and tell you that I will be cheating next Saturday.  We are having a girls slumber party in Rabun County and we are going to the chili cook-off in Highlands, NC.  I will eat clean until then, but I wanted to go ahead and put it out there.  Sorry to disappoint, but today, I'm back on it for the last half.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment